Saturday, December 6, 2008

The Loss of a Friend


Request from the Rainbow Bridge


Weep not for me though I am gone
Into that gentle night.
Grieve if you will, but not for long
Upon my soul's sweet flight.

I am at peace, my soul's at rest.
There is no need for tears.
For with your love I was so blessed
For all those many years.

There is no pain, I suffer not,
The fear now all is gone.
Put now these things out of your thoughts,
In your memory I live on.

Remember not my fight for breath.
Remember not the strife.
Please do not dwell upon my death.
But celebrate my life.
Unknown


Yesterday was a sad day. A friend had to give the hardest gift that animal owners give over the years to their beloved animals.

Tom was one of those horses you come across that just had presence. The moment you meet that kind of a horse you never forget them. That's the way it was when I first met Tom. He was not a very large horse, but he had that presence about him. His eye was what drew you in. There was wisdom in those eyes. He was always obedient and always very businesslike. I loved those qualities in him and he has passed them on to Flash and Juliet.

He lived a life where he was loved and I believe he knew that very well. His last few years he developed some stifle issues that increasingly became worse and made getting around more difficult each day. Teresa and Frank went above and beyond what most owners would do and did whatever they could to keep him comfortable. Yesterday though it became evident that for Tom the best thing to do was let him go. I know how hard that is having gone though it myself over the years. This is the extremely hard part when we own animals. They take a part of our hearts with them when they leave.


Tom about 10 years ago.


Please keep Teresa and Frank in your prayers during this time. Their loss was not of a horse, but of a family member.

2 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

That's so sad. Unfortunately, we've all been there. It's hard to lose a family member like Tom.
Beautiful poem too. Sympathy and best wishes to his owners.

SkyBar Farm said...

Yes, it was very sad. Thankfully, I have a son and daughter from him, so his legacy will live on. Thank you for your sympathy for my friends, I know it was well received.