Monday, December 22, 2008

Global Warming.... Yeah Right!

Winter is nature's way of saying, "Up yours." ~Robert Byrne

All that stuff I said last week about winter being pretty and serene, blah, blah, blah…. I take it all back! Winter Stinks! What was I thinking?

Jeff sent me on a cruise to the Caribbean last year shortly after my father passed away last December. (He is a great husband!) I went by myself so I would have time to reflect and reorganize my life and figure out what was important to me.




Okay, really I did do a lot of reflecting on my life and where it had been heading and where I wanted it to go in the future and it was not all in a bottle of Tequila!

I hated coming back to Pennsylvania. I called Jeff daily telling him how I could so easily become a beach bum on Grand Cayman Island.

Back to reality though. I woke up to a -19 wind chill this morning. What idiot ordered that up? I have rheumatoid arthritis. It started when I was around 15 years old and has slowly progressed ever since. I have good days and bad days. The worst time is when the seasons change, once the weather decides on what it is going to do then my body adjusts, but until then, it is a roller coaster for my body. If it were not for the fact that I have 2 children, 4 dogs and 20 horses depending on me daily, I would just stay in bed and watch movies and drink hot tea on days like today. What makes matters worse is the roller coaster weather pattern. It cannot just decide to be cold. No, it has to be 45 degrees a week ago and rainy to 32 degrees and raining last Friday to bitter friggin’ cold today. My body just can’t seem to hold up. Life through pharmaceutical drugs though can be a wonderful thing. The next person I hear complain about how much drug companies make in profits and charge for their drugs, I’m going to smack over the head! If it were not for the fact that the American drug companies are pretty much the only ones doing R&D, we would not have the medicines we have. And since I do not foresee a move to Arizona anytime soon, I will benefit from the use of them. But even on days like today, they only take a small edge off the pain.

Wow, I didn’t mean to go off on that tangent.

So this morning, I broke up ice in the bitter frigid cold in 4 water barrels that were frozen half way through, I lugged warm water to Argo after I sang him Christmas Carols, to keep my cheeks from becoming bricks of ice. I watched the geldings as I introduced a new horse to the herd today, and prayed all went well, which it did. I set up grain for this evening, and then booked it out of the barn and back into the house and under several blankets.

So on days like today, I spend my time dreaming of this...


Merry Friggin’ Winter!

1 comment:

CastoCreations said...

I hear ya on the pharmaceuticals. :) Without the miracle of modern drugs I'd be in a looney bin. =)